The API Team under Platform and Architecture domain is responsible for the design, development and maintenance of Services (API) for developers contributing to the e Commerce sites for both Macys and Bloomingdales brands. In addition, this team is developing the platform components for next gen form factor API’s to expand and improve the store shopping experience with mobile technologies and applications designed to captivate and engage our customers. We are looking for an energetic and passionate individual to serve as Manager to lead projects, programs and initiatives in the planning and execution of these efforts. Along with strong technical leadership skills, this manager must possess broad management experience and be able to articulate goals, issues and opportunities effectively at all levels of the organization and in variety of mediums. This individual will lead and work with a rapidly growing base of Architects, Leads, Staff of Developers and Quality Engineers, Systems Analysts, and Support Engineers. The management scope will be responsible for overseeing and influencing all aspects of development and support while constantly moving ahead to improve development efficiencies. Macys.com champions an innovative, “fail-forward” culture based on agility, partnership & collaboration. Our engineering methods are based upon agile development, test-driven principles, advocates adaptive planning, evolutionary development, early delivery, and continuous integrations and it encourages rapid and flexible response to change.
• Manage, develop and mentor a team of technical experts responsible for the operations, performance and maintenance of API/services, releases and partner engagements
• Manage development of experience based service end points for custom applications and package integrations
• Provide oversight and guidance during the development of complex integration, partner requirement assessment and API portal support
• Monitor and ensure that proper development, qualification and release methodologies are in place and followed
• Provide oversight to ensure adequate focus on stability, scalability, performance and quality during design and development decisions
• Provide a software development plan that meets the future needs of our clients and markets, based on the state of the art technologies
• Evolve and enhance the existing software system applications and architecture
• Develop and manage schedules/resources for on time delivery of user stories, functionality and infrastructure improvements
• Assist in developing and maintaining external partnerships for site and in store solutions
• Identify and remove roadblocks for your team
• Provide leadership and guidance to coach, motivate, and lead team members to their optimum performance levels and career development
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or other related field or equivalent work experience
• Must have at least 7 years experience working through the design, development, release cycle, and delivering software products to market
• Experience in managing API development including thoughtful leadership to translate business needs into API interface & functional requirements
• Experience in Java programming and J2EE/JBoss application server software development (EJB, JMS, JDBC, JTA)
• Working experience in Spring Framework, Web services and REST core/client.
• Experience with Application and Web servers – aka JBOSS / Apache (Tomcat)
• Understanding of relational database concepts, dimensional database concepts and database architecture and worked knowledge on one of them (Oracle, Db2, MySQL, MSSQL)
• Conversant in common Internet technologies and protocols (HTTP, SSL, OAuth, REST, JSON, XML, etc.), understanding the pros and cons of each
• A record of successful delivery of software applications as an individual, team leader and/or Development manager.
• Able to handle conflict effectively and create camaraderie and team character
• Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to exercise mature judgment.
• Understanding of the principles and challenges of data/code integration
• Passion for managing next gen home grown api’s and continuous optimizations/enhancements to make it robust
• Strong leadership skills and the ability to grow the same in your direct reports
• Retail, Mobile, Mashery, Apigee experience and analytics knowledge is a plus
As the fastest growing part of Macy's Inc. business, macys.com is achieving record sales and broadening our workforce. With offices in New York and San Francisco, macys.com is the best of all worlds. The entrepreneurial thinking of a Web business complements the stability and support of a national brand. Creativity and ingenuity partner with business acumen and tech savvy to build a unique business poised for continued growth. Employees at macys.com have long term opportunities and are encouraged to utilize their Supervisors and Human Resources for cross-functional movement to further their careers. At macys.com we are committed to giving back to the community by partnering with local charitable organizations. By skillfully combining the power of the Internet with the best in retailing, macys.com is reaching new heights.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Macy's Inc., including Macy's and Bloomingdale's, will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of SFPC Art.49.