The Macy’s Customer Support Systems team is looking for a Staff Engineer - Mobile.
A senior technologist who designs and implements application architecture and owns the application strategies and roadmap for a suite of systems or domains. Their primary areas of focus are core development, design and direction of application architecture and alignment with business objectives and high-level company technology direction. The Staff Engineer will partner with other architects and technology decision-makers to guide overall direction of the user interface layer of the site. He/she will work closely with Technical Leads, Application Architects, Software Developers and Management in a highly collaborative environment.
• Collaborate with delivery teams during design and development phases to ensure adherence to UI architectural standards and best practices
• Partner with other UI Architects and Staff Engineers to design/develop/drive the development of a modern user interface layer
• Document standards and ensure they are effectively implemented by the development teams and understood by technology partners
• Design and develop proof of concept prototypes for advanced features and designs
• Design intuitive look, innovative plus feel of next-generation UI supporting all form factors
• Continuously evaluate design and improve the software development and delivery processes with a deep focus on mobile web performance optimization techniques
• Working with appropriate stakeholders to develop and maintain a set of performance criteria for all development projects including memory leaks and profiling/snapshots
• Providing suggestions for improvement in Development or Testing practices to lead to increased performance of the suite
• Provide technical oversight and perform code reviews for multiple development efforts
• Guide a team of developers to address the highest of the identified production concerns
• Promote cross team synergy and alignment to optimize code-sharing, improve site performance and increase speed to market
• Work with the Product Management teams to understand customer performance expectations and to set testing criteria to meet or achieve these standards as future versions are released
• Ensure to guide process and technology adoption to assure apt QA testing of User Interfaces application
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science/Engineering with 8+ years experience (or) Master’s Degree in Computer Science/Engineering with 6+ years experience
• Expert level understanding of the HTML DOM and underlying event model
• A strong understanding of both progressive enhancement and AJAX-based single page applications built using Backbone.js or other MV* based frameworks
• Experience in designing and developing modules using Require.JS, or other module loading libraries
• Mastery of cross-browser, cross-platform markup and layout (HTML, CSS)
• Strong knowledge implementing responsive design techniques and mobile gestures/swipe libraries
• Demonstrate knowledge on Build Systems, Grunt/Gulp/etc, Linting, Compiling, Minifying, etc
• Performance Optimization for CSS, JS, images, asset caching
• Knowledge of what is required to develop highly performance web applications
• Experience with Ant or Maven build tools, SVN / GIT source control systems
• Sound understanding of Continuous Integration and automated testing strategies
• Bonus: Experience with server side technologies like JSP, Java, and Java Servlets (or similar server generation technologies)
• Excellent verbal and written communications
• Able to effectively communicate across teams and roles
• Ability to clearly write clear technical specifications
• Ability and desire to thrive in a proactive, high-pressure, customer-facing, environment
As the fastest growing part of Macy's Inc. business, macys.com is achieving record sales and broadening our workforce. With offices in New York and San Francisco, macys.com is the best of all worlds. The entrepreneurial thinking of a Web business complements the stability and support of a national brand. Creativity and ingenuity partner with business acumen and tech savvy to build a unique business poised for continued growth. Employees at macys.com have long term opportunities and are encouraged to utilize their Supervisors and Human Resources for cross-functional movement to further their careers. At macys.com we are committed to giving back to the community by partnering with local charitable organizations. By skillfully combining the power of the Internet with the best in retailing, macys.com is reaching new heights.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Macy's Inc., including Macy's and Bloomingdale's, will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with SF PC Art. 49 and LA MC ch. XVIII Art. 9.