The Data Scientist function enables and empowers macys.com marketing and site personalization with predictive modeling, forecasting, data mining, experimental testing, and algorithm design capabilities. As a Data Scientist you will work with a world-class multidisciplinary team to synthesize and leverage data from varied sources and provide actionable recommendations to optimize the customer experience across all touch points based on statistical and/or econometric framework.
This role will provide technical expertise and consultative services to address learning problems for a number of cross-functional business partners in an applied retail analytics environment. You will be tasked to recommend and deploy advanced analytical methods/models to find patterns and insights from web/omnichannel data and to communicate findings to multiple stakeholders.
• Define data needs, evaluate data quality, and synthesize data for analytic projects in a ‘Big Data’ environment.
• Perform and critique statistical analyses using R, SAS, Python and/or additional technologies.
• Collaborate across the marketing organization to define requirements, challenges and results.
• Effectively communicate and document technical analyses and results.
• Conceptualize problems, apply appropriate theory, explore approaches, simulate, and implement.
• Consistently demonstrates regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
• Graduate degree in Applied Statistics/Mathematics/Economics, Operations Research, Computer Science, or related field preferred but not required (Bachelor’s Degree required)
• 2-3 years of experience in statistical analysis, experimental design, marketing research and/or data science
• Intermediate to advanced proficiency with statistical computing platforms including SAS, Python, R
• Experience with enterprise collaboration tools preferred (JIRA, Git, SVN)
• Experience with ‘big data environment’ (Hadoop), preferably in retail/e-commerce
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Advanced statistics and data science.
• Must be able to independently design and implement innovative solutions with minimal supervision.
• This position involves regular ambulating, sitting, hearing, and talking.
• May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
• May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, and focus adjustment.
• Involves use of hands and fingers for typing on keyboard and using a mouse.
• Design and implement statistical routines to achieve business objectives.
• Make recommendations to peers, stake-holders and management based on findings.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and store/company needs.
As the fastest growing part of Macy's Inc. business, macys.com is achieving record sales and broadening our workforce. With offices in New York and San Francisco, macys.com is the best of all worlds. The entrepreneurial thinking of a Web business complements the stability and support of a national brand. Creativity and ingenuity partner with business acumen and tech savvy to build a unique business poised for continued growth. Employees at macys.com have long term opportunities and are encouraged to utilize their Supervisors and Human Resources for cross-functional movement to further their careers. At macys.com we are committed to giving back to the community by partnering with local charitable organizations. By skillfully combining the power of the Internet with the best in retailing, macys.com is reaching new heights.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.
Macy's Inc., including Macy's and Bloomingdale's, will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with SF PC Art. 49 and LA MC ch. XVIII Art. 9.